Why am I blogging?

My daughter's smile is the lovely one you see above! I love to see people smile! Maybe that is why ...I like to capture smiles or snapshots of things that make others smile with my camera. I know we can't go through every minute of life with a smile but I hope that even when life is hard we can have a peace that others will notice and desire. My blog initially started as a way to honor my mom and her great outlook on life. She died in May 2010 from cancer. I don't think I can ever due justice to her life but I hope I can live my life in a way that would make her proud. The one other great privilege I have had is to be Carol Hensley Singletary's mother. She was our only child and she died suddenly on Feb .27, 2013. She was 19 years old. Her zest for life, her smile and her loving personna is missed by many, but none more than by her husband of just 6 months, Cooper. We carry on by grace and faith in God, and will look for any means to smile while we are left here on this earth for some reason by God. What I would give just to see the beautiful smile of my mom and daughter again! I know without a doubt I will someday, but until then I am going to try and praise my God and King in the life's good days and through life's pains. And i'm sharing here ...in hopes that you will smile with me. judy!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

POEM Mom's Hands--honoring the life of Rebecca Ann Good

Below is a poem a friend wrote about my mother whom she met only once, and it inspired me to try to write a poem in honor of my wonderful mother, Rebecca Ann Good.  She fought so well and steadfast against colon cancer for over 8 years.

Becky's hands are beautiful
they took care of things in life
She cooked and sewed, and cleaned
when she became a wife
but most of all they're gentle
and wiped away the tears
held her loved ones fast
to take away their fears
my favorite way to see such hands
is when they were in prayer
when you take her home remember
those hands you gave to share.
~~~~~~~Sharon Dock




I took this picture of me holding mom's hand the  a few days before she died.  I was 47 years old when she died on May 20 2010. Any good in me came from her.  Love ;you and miss you bunches mom.

The poem above inspired me to add from my perspective as her daughter of 47 years


My mother’s hands are soft in mine
These hands I hold have done so much,
I am amazed at all they have done and to GOD I say…
“Thank you GOD for making my mom’s hands and heart which have blessed so many along this way!”

Her hands have been used for so many jobs,
And perhaps best used… when they clapped in praise
To songs of worship for her Savior and King
Her Creator, her Redeemer and Master of everything.

Mom used her hands to do her Lord’s work on this earth
in beautiful submission to his leadership over her life
many times she wrapped them around another for a comforting hug,
Friends, family and many of God’s children were recipients of her love.

She used her hands to help make a living
As a church secretary for many years she used them to type and answer the phone,
And after a day at the church, she might write someone a note of well wishes
Then drive us kids wherever we had to be, then fix supper and finish washing dishes.

She held my dad’s hand as wife and dear friend
For over 50  years I am proud to say
On one finger she wore a ring of this promise to him
“I will love you and cherish you forever” one day in June to Jim

Because of their love, I came to be!
And mom’s hands cuddled me so tenderly
gave me baths, fed me food ,
Even held my hand till I went into the door the first day of school

Her hands also got my attention a few times
In a discipline session where her hand met my behind
A subtle (and I use that term lightly) reminder
That mom was in the one in control  but I had better 'walk the line"--

Many more times her hands were used to encourage us
As she clapped at ballgames, band concerts and more,
For big and little accomplishments we could have only done
With her love, her guidance, and her generous helping hands

Mom’s hands were oh so proud to hold her grandchildren, joey and carol
And to give them things that have spoiled them rotten
But I’d not have it any other way
Cause they gave her such pleasure and joy-- on so many days

To sum it all up I can’t think of any way else it might be said
Other than this: mom’s hands were used to show Gods love to us
And that is a gift I can never repay
But as a legacy to honor her… I will strive to use my hands in similar ways

I’ll hold her hands now and whisper in her ear
“Mom, I’m so proud of you …You will always be in my heart… so close and so dear!”

And I’ll be rejoicing to think of the time
When Jesus takes you by your hand and smiles as he says
“Becky, I’m so glad you are a child of mine!”

And I’ve left Judy, Karen and Jim a message
…That you will be just fine
cause you are gonna live and walk forever with me
and we’re gonna enjoy some angelic music and heavenly sunshine!

Judy Hensley
5-20-10

No comments:

Post a Comment