Why am I blogging?

My daughter's smile is the lovely one you see above! I love to see people smile! Maybe that is why ...I like to capture smiles or snapshots of things that make others smile with my camera. I know we can't go through every minute of life with a smile but I hope that even when life is hard we can have a peace that others will notice and desire. My blog initially started as a way to honor my mom and her great outlook on life. She died in May 2010 from cancer. I don't think I can ever due justice to her life but I hope I can live my life in a way that would make her proud. The one other great privilege I have had is to be Carol Hensley Singletary's mother. She was our only child and she died suddenly on Feb .27, 2013. She was 19 years old. Her zest for life, her smile and her loving personna is missed by many, but none more than by her husband of just 6 months, Cooper. We carry on by grace and faith in God, and will look for any means to smile while we are left here on this earth for some reason by God. What I would give just to see the beautiful smile of my mom and daughter again! I know without a doubt I will someday, but until then I am going to try and praise my God and King in the life's good days and through life's pains. And i'm sharing here ...in hopes that you will smile with me. judy!

Friday, May 15, 2015

A great friend of Carol and Cooper--in Memory of Jack Blevins

I had started writing this when Jack passed but didn't get it posted.  Please read to find out about this man who truely embodied a "Christ-like attitude" in all he did.  Jack helped coach (basketball) Carol and Cooper while they were at TCCS and was an amazing example for all of his love of the LORD!!!  JACK BLEVINS RIP (1/27/2015 530AM)  Jack was 30 years old (and if you don't read anything else, read under the part titled "what Jack would want us to know".

Much of the following is taken from a Caring Bridge online site for Jack Blevins.  I think it is worth sharing with you.  I knew Jack for just a short time, one basketball season  as he helped coach my daughter, Carol at Tri Cities Christian school.  We knew then that he was battling cancer and he still had a great faith in the LORD which he shared with those young ladies on Carol's team.

My name is Jack Blevins. I am a Christian first , and also a Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps. I was diagnosed with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumors (DSRCT) on June 16, 2010 at age 26.  
I am a believer, a fighter and a Survivor. 
I Will Fight, and I Will WIN!
My life and my cancer are in GOD'S Hands.
Semper Fidelis

His wife Cheri wrote in an online journal (1/27/2015 at 12:05am-- early the morning that  Jack passed) 
We have been shocked at how quickly his health has turned this week. Last Sunday, he was at church. On Wednesday, we had dear friends over to our home and while he was a little weaker, he was still doing well. Partway thru Thursday, he lost his strength and began having pain management issues,.......... he continues to grow more weary and weak. Today he has had few moments of clarity and alertness but the moments he has had have been very special. Even in his weakest and toughest moments here, he continues to be the most selfless man I know. I can tell he just wants to make sure I am okay. Today, after what was a very rough and troublesome night for me, I went to him and told him I loved him, to which his eyes snapped open and he said in a soft and weak voice, I love you too. He then somehow managed to lift his arm up around me so he could hug me and gave me biggest smile ever. He is still trying to protect and comfort me. Another moment of clarity was when our church ministers came to pray for Jack and he was able it muster up the energy to give them a thumbs up and tell them he loved them. Between these far and few moments of clarity, Jack is asleep. I believe we are to the point where he can no longer verbally communicate with us, but I know he can still hear us.......... 


While our hearts are heavy as we watch him slowly slip away, we are at peace with his passing. God is preparing a room for him (I imagine duke-themed) and we know it will be ready soon. While it is hard and devastating to let him go and I will miss him so very much, we know in that moment he will suffer no more. Jack and I have talked about his arrival to the pearly gates many times and we often wondered what his heavenly body will be like. We wondered if it would be much like our earthy bodies, but perfected. Jack liked to think that he would be restored to the strong body he had in  his prime during his time in the marine corps, and I can't tell you how much that excited him to know he would be able to walk and run again and no longer be in pain.  (CONTINUED BELOW)

********HERE IS WHAT I THINK JACK WANTS EACH OF US TO KNOW:    

Cheri's continued remarks:As today has passed by, my heart aches to watch him slowly fade away from us. It pains me to see him struggle and fight for his life, and you can't help but wonder why God would allow us and jack to experience such heartache. And then I think about how God sent his own son to die for our sins and how much it pained Him to watch his son suffer. He could have saved His son from that pain and he chose not to intervene. Why? Because his plan for our eternal salvation was the bigger picture and more important and Jesus knew and accepted that too. I can't help but wonder if there is a bigger picture here as well but we just don't know what it is yet? One thing I do know is that thru the story of Jack's life, he would want his fight against cancer and the testimony of his life to bring you closer to Jesus. I know this because several years ago when jack had his surgery to hopefully eradicate the cancer in his body, we found out it didn't work. I went thru a season of anger with God and became so angry I began to question his existence. It took me a while to tell jack that and when I did it broke his heart. The last thing he wanted was for this journey to put distance between me and God and I know he wouldn't want that for any of you either. I know he will be looking forward to the day of seeing us all again in Heaven and i can only imagine he will greet us with a big ole smile and hug. 

Jack passed within 6 hours of his wife writing this.  Carol always admired Jack...all the girls on her team did..and I can see why.  Thank you Jack for sharing your love of God through the opportunity to help coach some young adults at Tri Cities Christian School.  You did good.....REAL GOOD!

(if you want to read more, I shared some of a conversation Jack and I had just 2 weeks prior to his passing on my facebook page.  IF you are friends with me on Facebook you can see it at https://www.facebook.com/judy.g.hensley/posts/10152702348815028)

No comments:

Post a Comment