Why am I blogging?

My daughter's smile is the lovely one you see above! I love to see people smile! Maybe that is why ...I like to capture smiles or snapshots of things that make others smile with my camera. I know we can't go through every minute of life with a smile but I hope that even when life is hard we can have a peace that others will notice and desire. My blog initially started as a way to honor my mom and her great outlook on life. She died in May 2010 from cancer. I don't think I can ever due justice to her life but I hope I can live my life in a way that would make her proud. The one other great privilege I have had is to be Carol Hensley Singletary's mother. She was our only child and she died suddenly on Feb .27, 2013. She was 19 years old. Her zest for life, her smile and her loving personna is missed by many, but none more than by her husband of just 6 months, Cooper. We carry on by grace and faith in God, and will look for any means to smile while we are left here on this earth for some reason by God. What I would give just to see the beautiful smile of my mom and daughter again! I know without a doubt I will someday, but until then I am going to try and praise my God and King in the life's good days and through life's pains. And i'm sharing here ...in hopes that you will smile with me. judy!

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Oh, how times have changed, yes indeed!


I had a flat tire on my bike the other day and Bill was not home yet.  Take note --I am not implying that he would have fixed mine, but I needed an inner tube for my bike. So I took matters into my own hands and drove downtown Johnson City to the TREK store where I had bought my bike. They promptly fixed it and I was on my way.

Downtown Johnson City is becoming quite the place to hang out .  With its proximity to the college and many of the new apartments built for the students,.  I must say that someone with forethought and influence must be driving the revitalization of the area .  I don't know if we will ever be  an East Tennessee "Asheville" but for some reason several breweries are downtown and some different places to eat are sprouting up downtown.

Then there are several nice parks the city has added over the last few years. One of them which is downtown, is Founders Parks.  Sounds like it was made to honor the good founders of our city, right?  Maybe so. 

I thought I would ride my bike, with its newly installed innertube, around the  park and check out the eclectic artwork there in the form of statues, and see what kind of people are drawn to this park on this fine day.  The weather was optimal, not too hot and not too cool.

As I peddled around the loop I had to pay attention to where I was going because there are areas right beside the trail where you can ride off  into the meandering stream of up to two feet of water  (a lovely feature, but you have to pay attention to small children and old ladies on bikes, who might accidentally find their way into the water--not deep but definitely concern for possible bodily injury).  And NO-- i did not end up in the water.

I did notice one younger man at the other end of the loop intently using his phone and sadly ignoring the wonderful surroundings of the park he was at.  I meanwhile was trying to formulate something to say to him when i pedaled near.  Something like "Wow, you need to take a break from your phone and enjoy this day and this park!".With my delivery upbeat and with a smile.You know... something just a little snide but still sweet coming from a white headed lady on her orange bike.

But I was precluded from delivering my opinion and  grandmotherly advice when a young lady joined him.  They began to stroll around the park, hand in hand, both heads down checking their electric devices in their other hand.  I could only imagine what lunch would have been like.  Ah, whatever happened to looking deep into her eyes and and speaking the words she longs to hear;  'I think that is a new notification on your phone, you might want to check it."  He takes the opportunity to check and see if engagement rings are down in price and how is the market doing.. and i don't mean the farmers market next to the park.

Times have changed for sure.  I rode on by them, deciding wisely, perhaps.... to not say anything to them.  I guess it was better that way.   

OMGoshdarn, I really am becoming my mother!!

Hope you and your electronic devices have a great day!
Judy Hensley
12/28/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment