Why am I blogging?

My daughter's smile is the lovely one you see above! I love to see people smile! Maybe that is why ...I like to capture smiles or snapshots of things that make others smile with my camera. I know we can't go through every minute of life with a smile but I hope that even when life is hard we can have a peace that others will notice and desire. My blog initially started as a way to honor my mom and her great outlook on life. She died in May 2010 from cancer. I don't think I can ever due justice to her life but I hope I can live my life in a way that would make her proud. The one other great privilege I have had is to be Carol Hensley Singletary's mother. She was our only child and she died suddenly on Feb .27, 2013. She was 19 years old. Her zest for life, her smile and her loving personna is missed by many, but none more than by her husband of just 6 months, Cooper. We carry on by grace and faith in God, and will look for any means to smile while we are left here on this earth for some reason by God. What I would give just to see the beautiful smile of my mom and daughter again! I know without a doubt I will someday, but until then I am going to try and praise my God and King in the life's good days and through life's pains. And i'm sharing here ...in hopes that you will smile with me. judy!

Monday, December 4, 2017

It is Basketball time in east Tennessee and at TriCities Christian school!

Wow, there is just something about fall in the air that gets me excited.  Not just the trees with their fall brilliance or the crisp air and frosty morning.  Nope, just one thing that makes me smile most this time of year is basketball, and the intensity with which most girls play the game.

Here are  some things you should know about why I love basketball .....
I never played high  school basketball, but I did play volleyball.  My daughter excelled in basketball so I became a fan of her team(s).

There is just something special about playing on a team that is an amazing form of 'togetherness' that you just cant do by yourself.  And if I have to admit it, cheerleading is also a sport.  I tried out once in elementary school and didn't make it, so I played sports.

As I have gotten older I can no longer 'play' like i used to. SO I cheer from my seat or standing for extra emphasis.  And my daughter does not have to be on the team for me to 'cheer' or yell my brains out...but it helped when she was playing.

My daughter, Carol--she is that intense looking gal with the big smile in the picture is out in the hallway-- went to TCCS 13 years and played on TCCS teams since 2nd grade to 12th grade when she and her basketball teams won the state championship in 2011 and 2012 and were the regional champs in the previous 2 years.

Here is the other thing you should know about me...I believe that crowd support/school spirit can be the 6th person on a team.  Sad to say, I have never seen this happen at TCCS.  I have run up and down the sidelines to try and rally up some cheering from the crowd one time with no success so I just gave up.
This has always been a discouraging thing to me at the TCCS.  The crowds are bigger at the boys games, but the girls practice just as hard.  In fact one year on the elevator at our hotel in the state tournament, a coach from the other team said we  played like a boys team (but nicer to look at)!  The girls in the elevator took that that to be a great compliment!

So my plea to you is this:  come out to support the girls teams and put some oxygen in those lungs and yell for them!!!  They will notice, and they will play to get more yells.  Be the 6th man for our teams this year.  It doesn't cost much -- just a drink to re-wet your throat.  Our kids at watching and listening to us, so get to work and YELL for the EAGLES!  If you don't like to yell make a sign and hold it up.  Let's do something to show our kids we ar eproud of them in front of the other team.  We can do it...I know we can.  So help out our teams (and don't let up if they are struggling some, let them know we believe in them all the more!)

Will you join me as Bill and I attend the TCCS home games on Dec 7 and/or Dec 8?  And will you cheer on with pride our boys and girls teams?  Please don't ever let another team come in our gym with louder fans--that is a true disgrace and one that must change at TCCS!  Middle school games start at 5:00 pm and varsity at 7 pm.

THANK YOU!
  Judy Hensley -- a forever EAGLE mom of Carol Hensley Singletary (2012)

And #22 will be on the floor again for the guys team...sharing the number of a special friend and an angel fan in heaven..Carol Hensley Singletary's #22 will be worn by Caleb Rose! He asked specifically if he could continue wearing #22 as an honor to his friend, Carol.  We are excited to see him play with EAGLE pride as #22!





No comments:

Post a Comment