Why am I blogging?

My daughter's smile is the lovely one you see above! I love to see people smile! Maybe that is why ...I like to capture smiles or snapshots of things that make others smile with my camera. I know we can't go through every minute of life with a smile but I hope that even when life is hard we can have a peace that others will notice and desire. My blog initially started as a way to honor my mom and her great outlook on life. She died in May 2010 from cancer. I don't think I can ever due justice to her life but I hope I can live my life in a way that would make her proud. The one other great privilege I have had is to be Carol Hensley Singletary's mother. She was our only child and she died suddenly on Feb .27, 2013. She was 19 years old. Her zest for life, her smile and her loving personna is missed by many, but none more than by her husband of just 6 months, Cooper. We carry on by grace and faith in God, and will look for any means to smile while we are left here on this earth for some reason by God. What I would give just to see the beautiful smile of my mom and daughter again! I know without a doubt I will someday, but until then I am going to try and praise my God and King in the life's good days and through life's pains. And i'm sharing here ...in hopes that you will smile with me. judy!

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Coat that Could Part 2

PART 2 of Judy’s Story of da Coat

I've described my COAT of many bright-colored flowers that I purchased at a discount retail store and sent with my daughter to church camp around 2006 in a previous post. I will continue to share some things I have learned from this coat here in Part 2. 
It seems that people either love or hate the coat. I even asked myself why I liked the coat so much and I wondered if my PD would have influenced my sense of style?
 I wondered if I liked the coat so much due to changes in my brain from PD, so I thought "I'll see if other people with PD like the coat?” So I took it with me to a Young Onset Parkinson’s Disease in Reston, VA in after Carol returned home with the coat in the summer of 2006.
 A couple of friends who were also going to be at the conference were very vocal about not being seen with me  and the coat anywhere near me. You think that bothered me? No way!
The first night, our hotel room was the meeting point for about 7 ladies with PD.  I told them to get ready and got the coat out and modeled it. I then asked if anyone else wanted to wear it? And everyone did except for one person. I’m not the type to pressure anyone, so I left it at knowing 6 of the 7 ladies loved the coat. They put it on and modeled it, twirled in it, laughed in it, had pictures made in it! I told you …..it is FUN to wear! After a couple of days people were asking to see the coat so I took it to the hospitality room one night. Much fun was had when even the guys put it on!
  The COAT even made a guest appearance at a PD
fundraiser in New Jersey in 2007!  One of the band members wore it the whole evening. So as you can see, the COAT has a wide reputation. For me... when I am wearing it …Ican feel free to laugh and forget the symptoms of PD for a little while.

Comments from others who have gotten the coat to wear:
Karen in CA:...Well I have to share with you Judy has been calling every day asking my hubby if "the box" had arrived yet...Behold the famous Judy4etsu Floral Coat was inside...along with goodies from the Unity Walk... and other wonderful items. It was the highlight of my day!!! I have had so much fun showing this and explaining it to my friends. And I'm so glad I gotten to make new friends who share challenges of pd with spunk and determination.

See part 3 for “Learnings from the coat…”


No comments:

Post a Comment