Why am I blogging?

My daughter's smile is the lovely one you see above! I love to see people smile! Maybe that is why ...I like to capture smiles or snapshots of things that make others smile with my camera. I know we can't go through every minute of life with a smile but I hope that even when life is hard we can have a peace that others will notice and desire. My blog initially started as a way to honor my mom and her great outlook on life. She died in May 2010 from cancer. I don't think I can ever due justice to her life but I hope I can live my life in a way that would make her proud. The one other great privilege I have had is to be Carol Hensley Singletary's mother. She was our only child and she died suddenly on Feb .27, 2013. She was 19 years old. Her zest for life, her smile and her loving personna is missed by many, but none more than by her husband of just 6 months, Cooper. We carry on by grace and faith in God, and will look for any means to smile while we are left here on this earth for some reason by God. What I would give just to see the beautiful smile of my mom and daughter again! I know without a doubt I will someday, but until then I am going to try and praise my God and King in the life's good days and through life's pains. And i'm sharing here ...in hopes that you will smile with me. judy!

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

POEM The Coat that Could (part 4 about da coat)

One day in 2005, I (judy) went into a discount store
my eye was caught by colorful coats by the door
I looked at the tag and gasped at the original retail price
and then I thought "at $15, this 90% discount is really nice!"

So I shelled out the cash and took the gorgeous coat home
and planned to wear it when I deemded that the time was right.
the day Carol left for church camp that  seemed a perfect time
for the coat to appear and help break any camp grind

and on that glorious day,the bright multicolored coat had it's debute
and a remarkable journey of smiles with family and friends began

But Carol did not share in the vision of fun of thisin the 15 dollar, bright and gaudy coati had found
and she would have nothing to do with me and this new 'da coat' as I shared it with everyone around! "
She begrudgingly took the coat to camp for all of them to enjoy for the week
and planned it's demise so that there would be no more coat repeats!

One day while Carol was away, I got a call asking if da coat might stay at camp Where it could continue the ministry it had started and was deemed a camp-champ!  
the counselor assured me that Carol's request was sincere
so I gave permission allowing the coat to stay, 
but as soon as i hung up the phone i regretted it and went to buy another one that day! 

off i went to to see if i could find another one of these incredible coats,
and with luck and good fortune ....I  found one marked at half off in another  BigLots store
and i was elated with a joy mixed with mischievousness that i danced with glee, 
 all the way to the register, to purchase another 'da coat....he he heeeee!

You should have seen my girl's face the day they returned to town, 
When she saw what i was wearing ,
Oh how quickly that smile turned into a frown, 
as i danced and giggled with joy as i wore another one of 'da coat I had found.

It became my mission to show my daughter
that 'da coat is special and she was the only doubter
so I asked many friends at church and other places
to join in some fun and put it on and make big smiley faces!

I soon began to wonder if my obsession with this coat could be due to my PD
so I took 'da coat on a trip to a PD conference to see.
Some of my Parkie friends were skeptical of it's power
but when they saw others put it on, their mind was changed in less than an hour.

This coat now has a life of it's own
if you get a chance to put it on, just do it and you'll see
it feels wonderful, it's so bright and cheery, you'll have to also put on a smile
and let me take your picture to show everyone it was worthwhile.

What once was "Judy's coat" is now referred to as 'da Coat
because it is no longer mine but it represents a community of mine
of family, friends, men and women with Parkinson's disease
who are not afraid of having some fun--thank you, try it on, please!

In July 'da coat will accompany Strong Feather Eileen of The Regulars
as a team climbs Mount Kilimangaro in Africa to raise awareness of Parkinson's and Alzheimers
I hope the coat makes it to the top, but if that should not come to be
the Regulars all are heros to people like me

You see they know that 'together we work for a cure'....
Me, you, kids, friends and many others who live ordinary lives
but make an extraordinary difference in our future
by being bold and courageous, tand helping all of us with PD to live with  hope and survive.

'da Coat has traveled near and far
it's been worn by people, animals, statues, and even a couple of preach'ars
and I've got over 400 pictures of others and such joy wearing the coat,
and although my daughter still does not like 'da coat, it will not stop my ploy
to sharing a little bit of joy along each of our pathways


Come along with me and da coat  and enjoy the little things each and every day!

If you have worn the coat and would like to tell how it made you feel, I'd like to share it with others in a selfish effort to bring awareness to Parkinson's disease!  
Thanks,
Judy Hensley ....a gal living in Tennessee diagnosed with Young onset Parkinson's disease, still determined to endure for a cure! 


judy 8/19/15

No comments:

Post a Comment