Why am I blogging?

My daughter's smile is the lovely one you see above! I love to see people smile! Maybe that is why ...I like to capture smiles or snapshots of things that make others smile with my camera. I know we can't go through every minute of life with a smile but I hope that even when life is hard we can have a peace that others will notice and desire. My blog initially started as a way to honor my mom and her great outlook on life. She died in May 2010 from cancer. I don't think I can ever due justice to her life but I hope I can live my life in a way that would make her proud. The one other great privilege I have had is to be Carol Hensley Singletary's mother. She was our only child and she died suddenly on Feb .27, 2013. She was 19 years old. Her zest for life, her smile and her loving personna is missed by many, but none more than by her husband of just 6 months, Cooper. We carry on by grace and faith in God, and will look for any means to smile while we are left here on this earth for some reason by God. What I would give just to see the beautiful smile of my mom and daughter again! I know without a doubt I will someday, but until then I am going to try and praise my God and King in the life's good days and through life's pains. And i'm sharing here ...in hopes that you will smile with me. judy!

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Hanging with the Young at Heart

I am on a trip to the Amish country in Ohio as I type this.  Our fearless leader, Pete Tackett, the pastor at Antioch Baptist, Johnson City, told me when I got on the bus "Once you go on a trip with the Young at Heart (aka Senior Citizens) you'll never want to go on any trip with church youth again."  And I am thinking he is so, so very right!  I am having a great time.   

As I went to bed last night I thought about the differences between the Young at Heart and the Youth and how trips have been in the past and now that I have been a part of one with the YAH..  Here are several things:
1.  The YAH know how to be ON time for activities and the use of a shared  bus.  Youth ...well, just add about 30 minutes to the requested meeting time and you might have them all there.  Actually the YAH will be on the bus ready to roll 5 minutes ahead of the requested meeting time'.
2.  Youth ....especially more than 2 together will have 'drama'.   Whereas YAH don't have drama with each other.  They think 'drama' is something you watch on a stage  or TV.
3.  One of the reasons the YAH don't have drama is that you hardly ever hear them complain about the foot, the accommodations, the agenda, etc.  Oh my, Youth they can quickly get to complaining about something.  
4.  Youth take pictures and put on Facebook of them and their girlfriend or boyfriend.  YAH take pictures of the great food they are having and  post on Facebook.  Now that gives tells you a lot about priorities right there.
5.  Youth drink energy drinks in cans and YAH drink coffee in cups.
6.  You ask a YAH how old they are and they will avoid telling you their exact age or something like "I am old enough to be your parent!"; whereas Youth will say "I am 17 and a half".  Those half years really count when you are young, I guess.
7.  YAH men use belting or suspenders to help keep their pants up.  Youmg men have no idea what to do with a belt.  And they think it is OK to wear the waistline of their pants/shorts anywhere above their ankles and below their hips.
8.  Young girls dye their hair to stand out in a crowd.  YAH women  dye their hair to blend in the crowd.
9.  YAG appreciate help with their technology.  Youth expect the YAH to 
get it the first time.  Youth would rather not say they 'don't get it'  than to ask a YAH to help them with just about anything.


These are just a few things i came up with concerning differences in Youth and Young at Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment